top of page
  • Writer's pictureThree Lil Birds Farm

Lab time

I finally had an opportunity to do some "real" lab work.

I was given the opportunity by one of the scientists at the lab to take some wax samples. We cut off one cell wall from the sample and placed it into a vial. It was then processed into an RNA extraction machine.

Then we took the wax samples and inserted primers. This would determine if there is a presence of any of the viruses we were testing in the wax.

These are some of the results we got back. Most of them were negative, although European Foulbrood and Varroa Destructor Virus came back as positive. This was expected though. We will be testing bees from the same frames for the viruses as well in the next week or so.

2 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Last Week in the Lab

This week is my last week in Louisiana at the Honey Bee Research Lab. Today we continued a project I previously worked on where we placed injected white-eyed pupa and mites into gel capsules for incub


Post: Blog2_Post
bottom of page